Windsor is actually not a suburb of Sydney, but a town in its own right. It is located on the north western outskirts of Sydney on the banks of the Hawkesbury River. Windsor is the third oldest British settlement in mainland Australia, and is called Windsor obviously after the township of Windsor in England.
Windsor is home to many gorgeous old buildings, like churches and cottages, that were built way back in the 1800's. The township has quite a country feel to it, with quaint shops and cafes dotted throughout the town centre. It's the perfect place to go for a day trip from the city as it takes about an hour via car or train. During October/November Windsor is covered in a purple hue thanks to the many Jacaranda trees that will be in full bloom throughout the town.
Many Thanks to Wikipedia (and my own local knowledge) for the Geography and History Lesson!
Little Munch Recommends
Cafe Red - Even though the cafe is located in the front of the local Woolworths shopping centre, it still exudes a trendy atmosphere. The interior is full of splashes of red and loads of exposed lightbulbs. They have lots of banquet seating and interesting knick nacks dotted around the interior. There is also a table full of their own range of jams and bikkies to buy and take home.
Lime & Coconut Cafe- Lime & Coconut Cafe is housed in a gorgeous old terrace house on the main street of Windsor. It's a little away from the main strip of shops and other cafes located on Windsor's pedestrian mall (it's closer to the train station end) which I think is a major benefit as you can immerse yourself into the tranquillity of this charming little cafe.
Things to do with Kids In & Around Windsor
- Let the kids run wild in the spacious playground at Macquarie Park, and if the weather is nice they can even go for a dip in the river
- Grab a takeaway from a cafe and head to McQuade Park playground and sit in the sun whilst the kids have a play
- If visiting on a Sunday check out the eclectic Windsor Mall Markets
- Grab a bite to eat at Australia's oldest pub - The Macquarie Arms
- Let the kids pick out their favourite sweet treat from the Outback Bakehouse
- Go for a cruise on the gorgeous old Paddlewheeler along the Hawkesbury River
- Have a wander through the Hawkesbury Regional Gallery - they always have something on in the school holidays for kids to do
- Drive just past Windsor and you can do some plane spotting outside the RAAF Base in nearby Richmond
- Check out the wonderful Australiana Pioneer Village in nearby Wilberforce