North Ryde is a small suburb of Sydney, approximately 15 kilometres north west of the Sydney CBD. It's a major business hub with quite a few of the big IT companies and the CSIRO occupying office blocks in the area (you will find Mr Munch earning some bacon here). Other than that, North Ryde, is well known for its crematoriums! There are two with 5 minutes of each other.
North Ryde also has quite a few parks and reserves located within its boundaries with the most family friendly being Lane Cove National Park. Apparently back in the olden days Sydneysiders used to come up in boats on the river to a picnic area called "Fairyland" and attend dances on Saturdays! Fairyland had a razzle dazzle slide, BBQs, a boat swing and a wharf. Sadly this area is now mostly overgrown but you can still walk through it.
Many Thanks to Wikipedia (and my own local knowledge) for the Geography and History Lesson!
Little Munch Recommends
Dragonfly Cafe @ Eden Gardens - Eden Gardens is very easy to access no matter what part of Sydney you live in, it is situated smack bang in the middle of Lane Cove Rd (otherwise known as the 3) and they have loads of parking. Eden Gardens is a hybrid of nursery, gift shop, gardens, gallery, cafe, playground and function centre. Thankfully it is spaciously laid out so it can cope with the sheer volume of visitors it has every weekend....
The Ranch - gets loads of big ticks from this thirsty Mumma. Firstly they have a fantastic outdoor playground that suits most kids under the age of 10 which is shaded by sails; they have an entertainment corner (with video games) for those parents that have young stallions instead of little bulls; and they have a colouring in corner where you can grab as many crayons and colouring in sheets as you can and then take them back to your table to keep kidlets occupied.....
Things to do with Kids In & Around North Ryde
- Visit the North Ryde RSL and drop the kids off in the fully supervised Tribal Zone, whilst you enjoy a kid free meal.
- Pack a picnic and head to Lane Cove National Park where you can go on a bush walk, spot some wild life, paddle on the river, or have a play in the playground at Jenkins Hill picnic area
- Take a family bush walk through Wallumatta Nature Reserve
- Have a picnic and play in the smallish playground at Magdala Reserve
- Check out the cool playground at North Ryde Park
- Take the kids "glamping" at the Lane Cove River Tourist Park