Hornsby is a suburb of the Upper North Shore of Sydney, located about 25kms north west of the city centre. Hornsby is a major hub of business, health and education for the northern suburbs of Sydney. The name Hornsby comes from a bloke called Samuel Horne - he was a convict who became a constable and he named some land in the area that he was granted Hornsby Place!
Hornsby is home to an excellent Westfield Shopping Centre, some very good parks and playgrounds and it also has a burgeoning food scene. It is a very family friendly suburb as there are quite a few excellent schools, a hospital and a pretty cool aquatic centre. It's also ideally situated to escape Sydney on a weekend as trains run north out of Hornsby as far as Brisbane!
Many Thanks to Wikipedia (and my own local knowledge) for the Geography and History Lesson!
Little Munch Recommends
Bees Knees Cafe - The Bees Knees Vintage Cafe located on the wrong side of the tracks in Hornsby, is the place to go for all things boho. This sweet little cafe is a perfect little escape from the hustle and bustle of Hornsby but you need to hop over the other side of the tracks from the big Westfield to find it.
yShores Restaurant - This stylish restaurant is a great place to hang out after a big shop at the Hornsby Westfield. The are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and kidlets will love their little TV room and yummy kids menu.
Things to do with Kids In & Around Hornsby
- Enjoy a family day out at the Hornsby Aquatic Centre - they have learn to swim classes, a fab water play area, including a slide for kids, a child minding service and a cafe on site that is located in the park with a playground close by! There is also a decent amount of parking available.
- There are loads of cool parks & playgrounds throughout the Hornsby area, with the best being: Crosslands Reserve, Lisgar Gardens, Ginger Meggs Park, Beatrice Thompson Park, Lessing St Playground, Edgeworth David Garden, Hornsby Park and the seriously popular Willow Park
- Spend some time (actually the whole day) shopping, catching a movie, eating, playing laser tag at District 3 and enjoying the indoor play area at the Westfield Shopping Centre. Afterwards take the kids outside for some fresh air to check out the cool water clock feature
- Catch a family film on the cheap at the retro Hornsby Odeon Cinema
- Jump on a train and head to the central coast for the day